Elaine Kelly, Pastoral Care, St Vincents Hospital
Carlton Junior Football Club
Social Justice and Wellbeing
• ANDI index measuring well-being
• Measuring Australia 's progress and well-being
• GDP is not a good measure of a society 's progress
• measuring well-being has to encompass assets and environment for future generations and human/social capital
• in summary: does life = shopping?
• the issue: mismeasuring human progress by economic growth alone
• progress is an increase in equitable and sustainable well-being
• measuring progress and well-being in a society is a democratic issue: WHO measures it and WHAT is being measured?
• ANDI is modelled off the Canadian index of Well-being
• the point of this is not to build a good index, the idea is to integrate it with government and community - so it can be used in budgeting and policy making
Internet and Banking Frauds & Scams
Members who are unable to attend at Graduate House may attend via Zoom:
Meeting ID: 841 4773 5941
Alan Thompson - Former Secretary, Department of Parliamentary Services
Parliament House Canberra, history, and some recent events
Alan, a trained engineer and the former secretary of the Federal Department of Parliamentary Services spoke about his experiences working in the Parliament House in Canberra. He gave a brief history behind the current building.
- Requirements of accommodation for the new Parliament House differs from other parliament houses in that, apart from having a lower chamber and an upper chamber, like many other houses of parliament , it houses all the functions of the Federal parliamentary process in the one building, including all ministerial offices, and their associated functions. Also included are the library, the press gallery, and a variety of public areas : restaurants, meeting areas, parking, etc.
- The finished Parliament House was opened in 1988 by the Queen,
- Siting of the building: the comment is that , being on the top of a hill, and surrounded by wide roads, it feels a bit isolated.
- Operation of the Parliament: It has sittings over 22 weeks of the year, and 6 weeks for committee hearings. Ministers and their staff are mostly there all year; and the building is open all day, for 24 hours, for all 365 days of the year. The press gallery is open 24/7.
- People on site: 76 Senators, 151 House of Reps, 400 to 500 advisors, chamber staff approx. 400 to help speakers run their houses, 1000 Department of Parliamentary services: Hansard staff, Library, events staff, project managers, IT and Security staff inc. 150 armed guards, 300 press gallery, Lobbyists- many around Budget Time. and Tourists - around 2500/ day.
- Significant Events while Alan was working in Canberra: Rudd's apology to the Stolen Generation Lehman Bros Collapse and Turnbull's excellent explanation of what happened The great joy of Julia Gillard becoming PM Obama's visit to Canberra The need to update and upgrade security eliminating the parking of buses under the building
- Problems of working on site in Parliament House: There are a lot of people working under pressure over long hours. So problems do arise and these have to be managed carefully and sensitively. One of the problems is that there is a lot of alcohol around. There is the thought that alcohol should be banned from the parliamentary workplace.
Tony Broughton 29/03/2023
Arjun Argarwal - Impact Investing
Topic: Finance and Investment - transitioning global flow of capital into investment; ‘investment is about making choices on sound advice’
- Arjun was invited by Danielle Schutte through their involvement in the NDIA where Arjun is employed.
- Arjun gave a comprehensive presentation on his personal and professional background. He is from an Indian background who was raised in Africa
- He discussed the various ventures that he has been involved in India, South Africa and in Australia. He acknowledged that Australia’s entrepreneurship culture is much more conservative than the USA when it comes to start-up failure.
- Arjun has given a TED Talk on Finance and Investment.
- He is the Founder of Inaam
- In his current role his focus is on Young people and how to start investing initially in the listed market, followed by asking three key questions:
- What do you want to change?
- What do you love?
- Where would you like to invest?
- Key value adds:
- Track your investment
- Building investment literacy
- Help small business to raise capital
Hannah Rundell will tell us more about her Music Scholarship to the USA and also a performance.